Recruitment Privacy Statement
Effective: April 30, 2021
We are Workday, a group of companies with offices all over the world. We are committed to protecting the personal data of all Workday applicants—whether applying for an employee or intern role.
This Recruitment Privacy Statement (“Privacy Statement”) describes how Workday collects, uses, discloses, transfers, and stores personal data as part of our recruitment process for companies in the Workday group. It provides details on your personal data rights and how to exercise your rights with us.
We recommend that you read this Privacy Statement completely to ensure you are fully informed; however, if you only want to access a particular section, you can click on the relevant link below to jump to that section:
Personal Data We Collect
Personal Data We Collect Directly From You
The types of personal data we collect and process when you apply for a role with Workday include (but are not limited to):
- Identification data and contact details, including your name, address, email address, phone number and other contact information, gender, date of birth, nationality/ies, national identifiers (such as national ID/passport, social security number(s)).
- Account registration details, such as email and password.
- Employment history, such as previous employers and job titles/positions.
- Background information, such as academic/professional qualifications, job qualifications, education, details included in your CV/résumé (which might include details of any memberships or interests constituting sensitive personal information), transcripts, and employment references.
- Details of your reference providers, including their name, contact details, employer and job role.
- Details of your immigration/visa status, such as work authorization.
- Travel-related expenses, to the extent incurred during the recruitment process and banking details so that Workday can reimburse you.
- Other information you voluntarily provide throughout the process, including through internal or third-party assessment centers/exercises and interviews.
You can apply for a role at Workday using a number of third-party career sites; for example, SEEK and LinkedIn. Doing so will connect your profile from these systems with the Workday job application.
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, where authorized by law or necessary to comply with applicable laws, we will ask you to provide demographic information such as ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Information That We Collect Automatically
Personal Data Collected from Other Sources
We typically collect personal data directly from you but there may be situations where we collect personal data from other sources. For example, we may collect the following:
- Information provided by recruitment agencies that you have asked to support you in finding a job
- Information provided by Workday personnel who have referred you for a job
- Information provided by background checking agencies, including (where lawful) criminal background checks, that will verify the accuracy of information that you have provided
- Information provided by referees in response to reference requests
- Information collected from publicly available sources, including any business social media platforms you use or other information available online
How We Use Your Personal Data
We collect and use your personal data primarily for recruitment purposes; in particular, to determine your qualifications for employment and to reach a hiring decision. This includes assessing your skills, qualifications and background for a particular role, verifying your information, carrying out reference checks or background checks (where applicable), and to generally manage the hiring process and communicate with you about it. If we ask you to complete a candidate assessment with a third-party provider, we will include the results in the recruitment process. We will also capture additional personal data during in-person and/or remote interviews to assess your suitability for the job.
During the application process, we will process your resumé/CV information to check your skills and experience against the position for which you have applied. If we ask you to complete a candidate matching assessment with a talent management company, we will include the match results in the recruitment process. We will also capture additional personal data during in-person and/or remote interviews to assess your suitability for the job.
We will use your bank account details to reimburse you if you have claimed expenses associated with the Workday recruitment process.
If you are successful in the interview process, we will carry out background checks and validation of your experience and academic and professional qualifications. We will use a third-party organization to perform these checks and may share the CV and identity information that you have provided. Background checks will be completed only as permitted by local law.
If you accept a role at Workday, the information collected during the recruitment process may form part of your personnel file and will be processed in accordance with our employment privacy statement.
In certain Workday locations, we are required by law to provide reports on the diversity of our recruitment talent pools and will need to send reports to the relevant authorities covering a particular time period.
Where permitted by law, Workday may use the personal data you submit for statistical or product improvement purposes.
If you are not successful in the interview process, we may keep your details so that we may reach out to you and invite you to apply for other positions that we think may be a good fit for you unless you request that we delete your application.
Disclosure of Data
We only disclose your personal data to those who require access to perform their tasks and duties, and to third parties that have a legitimate purpose for accessing it.
We will disclose your personal data to the following categories of recipients:
- Members of the Workday group around the world in order to administer the recruitment process
- Background-checking or other screening providers that verify employment history, and academic and professional achievements
- Third-party service providers that support the Workday Recruitment process (such as recruitment or executive search agencies involved in your recruitment)
- Third parties where you have consented or otherwise instructed Workday to share your personal data
- Third parties to comply with our legal obligations, including where necessary to abide by law, regulation or contract, or to respond to a court order, administrative, or judicial process
- Third parties as necessary to establish, exercise, or defend against potential, threatened, or actual litigation
- Public authorities in response to lawful requests
We will implement appropriate measures to provide assurance that third-party organizations that we use to process data on our behalf use information in a manner consistent with this Privacy Statement and with applicable law, and that the security and confidentiality of the information is maintained.
Workday does not sell personal data that we collect or process as part of the recruitment process or any related processes.
International Data Transfers
Your personal data may be processed in the countries where you have applied for a job, the United States, or any other country where Workday or its subcontractors have operations. Third-party organizations processing personal data for Workday must comply with all relevant privacy laws in order to protect your personal data in any country where they process or transfer the data.
Workday operates as a global business and may transfer, store, or process your personal data in a country outside your jurisdiction, including countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). However, we have taken appropriate safeguards with respect to the protection of your privacy, fundamental rights and freedoms, and the exercise of your rights. For example, if we transfer personal data from the EEA to a country outside it, such as the United States, we will implement an appropriate data transfer solution, such as entering into EU standard contractual clauses with the data importer, or taking other measures to provide an adequate level of data protection under EU law. If you would like to see a copy of any relevant provisions, please contact us using the details provided in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
Your personal data will be stored in accordance with applicable laws and kept as long as needed to carry out the purposes described in this Privacy Statement or as otherwise required by applicable law. Workday may retain your data longer with your consent or for a legitimate business interest where we have assessed the business benefit and confirmed that this is not outweighed by your personal rights and freedoms.
Your Rights Over Your Personal Data
Depending where you are located, you may have certain rights under local privacy laws over the personal data we hold about you. These may include the right to:
- Access the personal data we hold about you.
- Have incorrect personal data updated or deleted.
- Have your personal data deleted.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data.
- Object to the processing of your personal data carried out on the basis of our legitimate interests.
- Receive a copy of your personal data in an electronic and machine-readable format.
- Not be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal effects or otherwise significantly affects you (“Automated Decision-Making”). Workday does not perform Automated Decision-Making as part of the processing activities covered by this Privacy Statement.
- Receive the categories of sources from whom we collected your personal data.
- Complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
Workday will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights.
You, or an authorized individual who we can verify is acting on your behalf, can exercise the applicable rights by contacting us using the contact details at the bottom of this Privacy Statement or by submitting your request through our Request Portal.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data
If you are located in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, or the European Economic Area, our legal basis for collecting and using your personal data as described in this Privacy Statement falls into the following categories.
Consent: In some cases, we ask you for your consent to process your personal data. You can withdraw your consent at any time, which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn. If you would like to withdraw your consent, you can do so by contacting us as provided in the How to Contact Us section below.
Legitimate Interest: We process certain data for our legitimate interests. These legitimate interests include, for example, administering an efficient recruitment process and managing applicants effectively. We will rely on our legitimate interests for processing personal data only after balancing our interests and rights against the impact of the processing on individuals.
Performance of a Contract: We process personal data to perform our obligations under an agreement we have with you or to take steps prior to entering an employment contract with you, where you are considered for employment. For example, we use your personal data to make you a job offer or complete a contract of employment with you.
Other Legal Bases: In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to process your personal data, such as in response to a court or regulator order. We also may need to process your personal data to protect vital interests, or to exercise, establish, or defend legal claims.
We use technical and organizational measures that provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal data. However, the security of information transmitted through the internet can never be guaranteed. You are responsible for maintaining the security of your password or other form of authentication involved in accessing password-protected or secured areas of any Workday recruitment web page. Access to and use of password-protected and/or secure areas of any Workday recruitment web pages is restricted to authorized users only.
E.U.-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield
Workday adheres to the principles of the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks, although Workday no longer relies on the EU-U.S. or Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks as a legal basis for transfers of personal data in light of the judgment of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Case C-311/18. To learn more, visit our Privacy Shield Notice here.
The Workday privacy practices, described in this Privacy Statement, comply with the APEC Cross-Border Privacy Rules (CBPR) system. The APEC CBPR system provides a framework for organizations to ensure protection of personal information transferred among participating APEC economies. More information about the APEC framework can be found here.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement may be amended or revised from time to time at Workday’s discretion. The most recent document is available via the Workday careers web pages. If we propose to make any material changes, we will provide notice on this page prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, or wish to exercise your rights, please submit your request through our Request Portal. You may also contact us at email@example.com or via one of the mailing addresses below:
6110 Stoneridge Mall Road
Pleasanton, CA 94588
Dublin 7 Ireland
To contact the Workday Data Protection Officer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are employed in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, or the European Economic Area, the Workday affiliate that hires or engages you will be the controller in relation to your personal data. For a list of Workday affiliates and their contact details, please see here.
Workday will respond to your request within a reasonable time frame or as required by law.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at: https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.