Northern & Shell Plans for Future With Workday Financial Management
Leading UK Magazine and Newspaper Publisher Modernises Financial Management to Support Growth and Expansion
PLEASANTON, CA and LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwired - Apr 21, 2015) - Workday, Inc. (
Founded in 1974, Northern & Shell has become a significant force in British and worldwide media with a portfolio of newspapers and magazines, including the Daily Express, Daily Star, OK!, Star, and New Magazine among others. As the company has grown and expanded through the launch of new brands and targeted acquisitions, it became increasingly challenged with a legacy financial system that was costly and cumbersome to maintain, and unable to support the pace of growth.
With Workday Financial Management, Northern & Shell will:
- Create one unified financial application for accounting and reporting that hosts all the company's financial data across its portfolio of brands, giving management a comprehensive, real time consolidated view of the organisation's financial performance at any given time.
- Standardise processes worldwide, streamlining operations for growth and leading to increased efficiencies and productivity throughout the business.
- Empower management with access to real-time financial data to help support business decisions and changes, such as divestitures and acquisitions, and enable them to respond more quickly to market dynamics.
- Simplify expense management, enabling workers to submit expenses and managers to approve reports via any mobile device.
- Build live multi-dimensional financial reports with drill-down capabilities to better understand underlying transactions all within Workday, making it easier and faster for Northern & Shell to report on the financial performance across any aspect of the business, such as by media brand or geography.
- Leverage continuous innovation from Workday's development on a single code line delivered in the cloud, no longer dependent on the costly upgrades and customisations of legacy systems.
Comments on the News
"Workday Financial Management will give us a financial system that can take us into the future and easily scale with the business, whether that be acquiring or merging a new company, or launching a new brand," said Danny Mansfield, group systems finance manager, Northern & Shell. "By moving our financials to the cloud, we will create new efficiencies that will give our finance team the time and freedom to focus on the financial performance of our brands and strategy for the future."
"The publishing world is more competitive than ever before. Northern & Shell needed a financial management solution that can not only support business needs today but also future growth and expansion," said Chano Fernandez, president EMEA, Workday. "With Workday Financial Management, Northern & Shell will have one view of financial performance across all its brands and access to real-time insights that will enable a more strategic, efficient, and empowered financial organisation."
Workday is a leading provider of enterprise cloud applications for finance and human resources. Founded in 2005, Workday delivers human capital management, financial management, and analytics applications designed for the world's largest companies, educational institutions, and government agencies. Hundreds of organisations, ranging from medium-sized businesses to Fortune 50 enterprises, have selected Workday.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding the expected performance and benefits of Workday's offerings. The words "believe," "may," "will," "plan," "expect," and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks, uncertainties, and assumptions. If the risks materialize or assumptions prove incorrect, actual results could differ materially from the results implied by these forward-looking statements. Risks include, but are not limited to, risks described in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including our Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2015 and our future reports that we may file with the SEC from time to time, which could cause actual results to vary from expectations. Workday assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
Any unreleased services, features, or functions referenced in this document, our website, or other press releases or public statements that are not currently available are subject to change at Workday's discretion and may not be delivered as planned or at all. Customers who purchase Workday, Inc. services should make their purchase decisions based upon services, features, and functions that are currently available.
© 2015. Workday, Inc. All rights reserved. Workday and the Workday logo are registered trademarks of Workday, Inc.
+44 (0) 7568 377476